To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Which lens to buy?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 18:29:00 -0800

Curt,

You question is a good on, about the three element lenses. But remember,
that this is an f/4 lens. If it were faster, I'd be worried. I've heard
the lens is very good.

And remember, Leica makes two element lenses that defy conventional
wisdom. The 400 and 560 f/6.8 telyts are very good lenses. They do have
some curvature of field, but it's not a real problem. The 800 f/6.3
Telyt-S is almost apochromatic in quality (heck, the light sure doesn't
have to bend very far for this monster), and it's three elements. All
three of these lenses have only two air-lens surfaces (all elements are
in one group), which might have something to do with it. At least flare
is pretty low becaues of it.

So don't worry. If the lens meets your needs size and speed-wise, go for
it. It wouldn't mine, but I'm a speed freak.

--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR