To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:28:19 PST

** Reply to note from "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk> 04/12/96  6:08pm
+0100
> So, what am I missing? Why bother putting old Canon screw lenses on  a
> Leica- or is the quality different from their SLR lenses?

The main reason is cheap lenses. Around here, you can pick up a 28mm lens for
a couple hundred, or so this guy claims on CIS. And some 35mm lenses are
pretty cheap too. And you won't find Canon lenses made in the 50s having any
particular resemblance to the latest Canon SLR lenses. It's hoped they've
improved their lens design in the meantime. In fact, I can confirm this. Their
latest stuff is outstanding (some of it anyway).

> What is a Zorkendorfer? Is it just a Leica R lens --> EOS body adapter?
> In which case, I want to know where to get one. I can then use R lenses
> on EOS bodies for slow stuff, like macro and maybe landscape work on a
> tripod. Then people can say "How did you get that look on an EOS" and I
> can smile mysteriously and talk about being attuned to my subject...

Zorkendorfer is a manufacturer in Germany who makes specialized equipment,
like turning 35mm slrs into tilt-shift capable. The address is:

 Zorkendorfer Film- und Fototechnik Gollierstr.
 70 80339 Munchen Germany
 Ph# 089 50 85 68
 Fax# 089 50 44 05

I think it's a couple hundred DM. And the guy who uses a Leica 180 Apo
Summciron with it says it's very useful. But then he's into aerial photography
of archelogical sites and only uses Kodacrhome 25 with the lens wide open, so
the lack of auto aperture isn't a problem. He says the auto exposure works
fine and camera functions perfectly. Very handy to have auto load and not
having to rewind by hand when flying an airplane.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR