To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Desires
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 10:02:18 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

I would agree that lens tests have their blind spots (pun intended) and
sometimes don't give the information the MTF or general picture taking
can. But because of the different contrast targets, the RIT charts can
give good information at different contrast levels. The tests were
helpful when compared my 19/3.5 Canon RFDR lens with my Nikon 20/3.5 lens
(roughly same central resolution but Canon softer and lower contrast at
the edges). The tests are helpful when you think you see a defect in
general picture taking and you want more information about it in a less
complex environment. Also, our subjective judgment and enthusiasm for a
lens can bias the objectivity of evaluations through picture taking.

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933