To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #161
From: Klaus Mathisen <klausm@online.no>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 13:05:54 +0200 (MET DST)

About the R-100 APO, Eric Welch wrote:
It's a truly awesome lens, as is the 35
>Summilux.

That made me curious about the 35/1.4 R. I have the 35/1.4 M, which is not
half as bad as some people will tell you, and I love it for its compactness
and classic looks. But to be honest, it's not fantastic below f/5.6.

So: How will the Summilux-R compare to the 35/1.4 ASPH for M? I think the
ASPH is ugly on the M6, and it also seems to ruin the balance of the outfit.
It's also impossible to find second hand. My R system already includes a 35
Elmarit and a 50 Summilux, but I find a fast 35 vastly more useful, as it
can be hand held at longer speeds than a 50.

Is the 35/1.4-R really worth it in terms of weight and price? I suppose it's
better than the Summicron-R, but the latest Elmarit is hard to beat - it's
slow, but quite excellent.

To my mind, the 35 Summilux and the 100 APO will make a minimalist (but
heavy) setup that will cover almost everything. I don't like to be without
the 100, and I also don't like leaving home without a fast 35. This means I
always feel I have to take both
systems, which is a nuisance (but I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me :).

Any comments on the 35 Summilux-R are welcome, on the list or as direct
email, as I know they come up for sale second hand every now and then, and
I'd like to be prepared...

Regards,

Klaus N. Mathisen
klausm@online.no