To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leicaflex
From: Christopher Hoover <cdhoover@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 13:33:12 -0800

Jim Bielecki wrote:

> What are the thoughts and opinions of people in this group regarding the
> Leicaflex SL and SL2?  Good cameras?  Great cameras?  If given the choice,
> should I opt for a used R series camera (R3) or the Leicaflex (realizing
> that automation is nice but not a necessity)?  How about lens compatibility?
> I'm trying to find an affordable way into the Leica reflex system and am
> torn between these two different options.
>
> BTW, I'm 45 and own an early production M3 (as well as an old Canon F1 and a
> Nikon F).

Jim:

I can only speak about an SL2 I've had for 3 years. It's a brick, but
easy
to hold and the controls work well. Shows all the info in the finder,
only
needs a battery for the meter and viewfinder light (these batteries are
separate and interchangeable).

I've wanted a manual camera ever since my FE stopped working (because of
the cold) 14 yrs ago on top of the Drakensburg Mountains in Lesotho. I
could
use its 1/90s manual speed, but it was very limiting. The SL2 has manual
speeds from 1s to 1/2000th, and I believe the light meter is much more
sensitive than the SL. Have the camera tested to see that the speeds are
on (I had mine checked locally for $10; all the speeds were right on).
As
long as you don't want a "50 Jahre" commemorative edition, you should be
able to find one for about $700.

For the Leicaflex, you need at lease "2 cam" lenses. The 3rd cam is for
the R3 on,
and may be added to a lens by DAG for about $100. The latest lenses have
only
the 3rd cam, so you may have to retrofit to use with the leicaflex.

Only you can decide whether aperture priority or full program is
necessary for
your photography. If you plan to do any action photos or even portraits,
you
might consider a newer model and thing about an SL2 as a backup. At this
price
range price, you might also consider an RE or R5. I find myself reaching
for
a newer camera in these situations, but often carry the SL2 body with me
when travelling or when I want to be ready with 2 types of film.

Good luck in your decision; the deliberation is half the fun!

Chris H
cdhoover@pacbell.net