To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leicaflex
From: Bert Keuken <bert.keuken@pi.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 17:42:20 +0200

Charles E. Love, Jr. wrote:

> I owned two SL2's, and have used my brother's SL.  They are, in a way, great
> cameras.  They are the last "real" Leica-designed reflexes--all of the R's
> but (I hear) the R8 are based on Minoltas.

Yes, there once was a cooperation between Leica and Minolta. A good example of
that is the Leica R4. It's Minolta counterpart would be an XD7. I wouldn't say
the later Leica R cameras are based on Minoltas. Why, well the XD7 is probably the
last solid SLR Minolta made. After that Minolta went downhill fast with plastic SLR
models like the X300, X700 and the autofocus SLR models. Leica however didnt't "go
plastic" with the R5, R-E, R6 etc.

Do the blindfold test: put a Minolta XD7, a Minolta X700 and a Leica R4 on the
counter. Try to tell which is which. Okay, the X700 sticks out like a sore thumb.
It sounds and feels very much unlike the other two cameras. A Leica R4 and a
Minolta XD7 sound and feel very much alike, try operating the wind-on lever, fire
the shutter. You'll know what I'm talking about...

Bert