Subject: Compact cameras for street photography (Leica-Contax)
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 96 06:57:37 -0800

Hello,

I am a Norwegian street photographer and freelance translator living in
Paris for the last 12 years. I=20
found this forum looking for Leica-links, and I think it is both useful and
good! I am preparing my=20
own Homepage, and I will for sure include a link to
"leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us".=20

I am a "Leicaist" since many years. I bought my first Leica M 4 in 1971,
when I passed the Highschool.=20
I lost it in Beirut in 1982, while I was serving in the United Nations
Interim Forces in South Lebanon.=20
I changed it to a Leica M4P and so forth. Today I have my 3rd M6...

Unfortunately I was obliged to sell my Leica equipment several times, due to
financial problems. It was=20
terrible each time! And I felt somehow naked afterwards. I have had
different lenses, but now I have only
two Summicrons: 35 and 50 mm, preferring the last.=20

My granduncle, H.U. Sverdrup, who was a famous norwegian polar explorer,
used Leicas during expeditions in the 20s and 30s. I still have one Leica II
which belonged to him. It works, but needs some repairing. I was very
sensible to the Leica history when I was young and was admiring the french
and american Leica photographers, especially the Humanist movement and the
Magnum people. I am still sensible to this, but times  are changing.

Instead of repairing the old Leica II, I bought an used Contax T2 compact
camera for the same price as=20
the repair would have cost me. It was stolen last winter, but it was a very
nice camera even if the=20
Carl Zeiss Sonnar lens is more contrasted than Leica lenses for b & w. I am
doing 99,9 % b & w, and now I=20
am looking for another good compact camera again. It is amazing how
convenient it is to have such a=20
camera in the pocket wherever you go. Some weeks ago I went to London with
my family. I had borrowed a Leica Minilux (black version) from a friend of
mine, and I did not bring my M6 at all.=20

The Minilux has got a very good lens! I developed the films (Tri X and
HP5)from London and made some 30 x 40=20
prints using a big Devere (4x5=92) magnifier with a Rodenstock lens at the
Imaginoir lab in Paris.=20
(The =AB boss =BB, Jean-Yves Br=E9gand, is a good friend of mine. They are=
 doing
lab works for Jean-Loup Sieff,=20
Sebastiao Salgado, Peter Lindbergh, Sarah Moon, Raymond D=E9pardon, Francis
Giacobetti a/o.).=20
I could not see any differences between the Minilux 40 mm Summarit and my 50
mm Summicron... not bad for=20
a camera built by Panasonic with the lens built by Hoya (somebody told me).

It is true, the viewfinder in the Minilux is very small (0,35x), almost poor
and ridiculous, and I am=20
ashamed on behalf of Leica seeing such a nonsense on a high end compact
camera. Another thing, why shall=20
this flash always open in Auto mode? It would be nice if the selected
functions would not be turned off=20
when the camera is turned off. Is it possible to modify the IC? I do not
understand why the product developers=20
at Leica did it that way!=20
The other day I saw the new Minolta compact camera, TC-1, and  took some
pictures with it (have not=20
developed yet). What a wonderful camera! The problem is that I do not like
28 mm lenses too much. But what a great viewfinder Minolta has made.=20
I thought Leica and Minolta had some sort of industrial co-operation. Why
did they go to Panasonic to make this "half fish, half bird" Minilux?
Unbelievable!

I need a small, in-pocket camera to tote around while walking in the streets
of Paris or travelling around=20
elsewhere.  I want a point-and-shoot that gives me creative control as well
as the ability to take a=20
brainless 1 second picture.  I want to be an "invisible" photographer, able
to take a picture unnoticed.  This is the original Leica/Barnack concept as
far as I can see. The camera should be almost silent,=20
and make almost no vibration.  I can usually take handhold pictures down to
1/8 with no serious problems,=20
and even longer with some luck.

I am not sure I will buy a Minilux, in spite of the lens quality. Perhaps I
will take another Contax T2 even if it is not "perfect" either. It is still
the most ergonomic and intuitive camera in the Titan series.=20

Many years of computer working have weakened my eyes. Now I need AF to work
quickly and surely. I do not=20
know if I am going to keep my Leica M6 or sell it again. If Leica could make
a new and better Minilux 2, same=20
size, or smaller, same lens, or a fast 35 mm with:

1) more accurate framing and a better viewfinder (perhaps a little more to
the left, not in the middle, with aperture and shutter speed information)
2) no auto flash mode as default -- selected functions would not be turned
off when the camera is turned off
3) manual ISO in addition to DX -- I don't like having to use exposure
compensation to adjust film speed

I think time has come for me to change, not philosophy, but technology. The
philosophy will remain. I will make=20
pictures the same way and also make the same sort of pictures.=20

The Leica M system is still a great working tool if you need several lenses.
The annoying part of the=20
Leica story is the growing decadence, all these limited series for
collectors and the ignorant rich=20
upper class (cf. The Bruckner M6). In fact I am thinking that even the
Minilux was made for these people, as a status symbol. It is not easy to
make pictures with it! As we know that is the main purpose for a camera...

Sorry this is so long!...

All the best

Oddmund Garvik