Subject: Re: M4-2
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 18:04:09 -0500

>> I had two M4-2, by far the two worst Leicas I ever owned.
>> I have used M Leica cameras since 1958 and will echo the statement M4-2
>are poorest version of my favorite camera.

        Well, I can't claim to have been using Leica's since 1958 (I can't
claim to have been using anything since 1958, for that matter) but I have
owned a couple of M4-2s and one is still giving me good service after years
of use under truely wretched conditions. Whilst it may be true that the
black finish is of a lesser caliber that that of other models (mine
certainly shows some wear) and the leatherette *may* be different, I
beleive the M4-2s to be fine Leicas and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them
to a user. If you can live without the framelines for the 28mm and 75mm
lenses and don't particularly care if the collectors aim their noses
skywards on sighting the "canadian" Leica then you should be able to profit
from the lower prices on these gems and get yourself a camera body that'll
give you years of picture making and save a few pennies for some glass.
        Of course, if your reasons for owning a Leica are to impress the
gang at the annual camera club butt sniffing event then you'd do well to
save the money and pounce on one of those diamante encrusted Liberace
specials. (I wonder if it comes with the implant.)
J.Redfern
(Self appointed director of the M4-2 anti discrimination bureau)

PS: another advantage of the M4-2 is that you can attach the God awful
winder to it.