Subject: Re: topicality and Oddmund's post
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 20:34:52 -0500 (EST)

I don't think Oddmund's posts are at all "postmodern."  As I understand it,
the tendency of postmodernists is to deny that there is any truth
(especially moral truth), or any correct interpretive view about "texts,"
including photographs.  Thus postmodernists, among other things, are, in my
view, quite amoral.  That is certainly not true of Oddmund, who, whatever
else people say about him, has a strong moral point of view.

At 07:48 AM 11/21/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>Well, I feel good now. I feel good quite often, unless when I am
>>thinking about how the world is going. I should like to do more in order
>>to expose the injustice and the lies, and to show the disastrous
>>consequences of the wstern/northern expansion, imperialism and cynism.
>

>>I don't think we shall start a purely political discussion in this
>>forum. My attitudes are a result of what I have seen, as a photographer
>>and as a citizen. Therefore beeing a photographer also implicates a
>>responsability
>>vis a vis oppressed people all over the world. That is my point of view.
>

>>I am walking in the streets now, trying to
>>record other miseries, these quagmires in which mankind is falling,
>>these harbingers of ultimate chaos.
>
>Well, I agree with Charlie Dunlap about diversity of expression on the LUG.
>Though I think that the type of postmodernist rhetoric expressed in the
>quotes above is pushing the envelope.
>
>Chuck
>Chuck Warman     <cwarman@wf.net>
>"The abdication of Belief / makes the Behavior small."
>                                 ----Emily Dickinson

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU