Subject: Re: CL AND CLE questions.
From: edwardk9@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Edward Kowaleski)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:07:18 -0500 (EST)

John,

I think all the CL's were made in Japan.  Some were marketed by Minolta
and were so marked while others were marketed by Leitz and were marked
accordingly.  While "Leitz" appeared on the camera, it was indeed made in
Japan and so engraved on the base plate.  I suppose it is always possible
that a limited number were actually assembled in Germany but I've never
heard or any.

CLE and 28mm.  The Minolta lens is quoite good and is a tad smaller than
the 28mm Elmarit 2,8 which was a big lump.  I like the contrast in the
Elmarit although many people really like the Minolta version.

The CLE has true TTL capability.  If the unit is set on "
A" and the appropriate flash is used it will TTL.  The Minolta TTL that
was made for the camera is a toy.  Try almost any SunPak that takes a
modual foot:  the Modual that works with the CLE is a MX-2D.  Metz also
makes a modual for its SCA series: it is the SCA 331.  The advantage of
either the Sunpak or MEtz series is that you can get an extension cord
that goes from the camera to the hot shoe which keeps the TTL function;
obviously this provides a better light and avoids red-eye which is the
curse of the Minolta unit.

Finally, send me your mailing address and I'll make a copy of the CLE
manual and send it to you.  Ed Kowaleski

> > I have a couple of questions
about the CL and CLE cameras.