Subject: Re: Visible lubricant on Summicron
From: colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 00:05:29 -0600

seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com wrote:

>      Hi,
>
>       I just bought a 50mm Summicron and noticed some lubricant was visible
>      on the back.  I have seen some R lenses had lubricant on the lens
>      blades but nothing like this.  I just wonder if it has any hidden
>      effect on the lens or is any sign of going bad.  Any information will
>      be appreciated.
>
>      David
>      seungmin@luxcom.com

David,

What part of the back of the lens? (the mount, the focus ring, the
diaphragm?)  Is it an M lens or an R?

Anyway, assuming you mean on the diaphragm of an R lens, a little oil on
the blades could prevent the diaphragm from stopping down properly.  On
an M lens this isn't a problem.  The oil can cause a little bit of flair
though, not usually serious, but a little less than ideal.  Usually the
lubricant will spread from where it should be if the less has gotten too
warm. (the trunk of a car in the summer.)

If it's not on the diaphragm I wouldn't worry about it, wipe it off.

Hope this helps,

Colin