Subject: Re: Electronic shutters and delay time
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 97 06:08:08 -0800

>> Norman Goldberg's excellent book "Camera Technology - The Dark Side of
>> the Lens" discusses this. ...
>> "Leica M3(...): 17ms."    ...
>> "Minox 35 EL (...): 8ms"  ...
>
>Thank you for the hard data....
>I am not sure, but what kind of shutter does the Minox have? FP or another
>kind?  If they are using a leaf shutter like the compur or prontor, then
>the mass thast is being moved is considerably less than even the Leica.
>Theefore the lag time should be less.

As you suspect, the Minox has a spring tensioned, electronically timed
leaf shutter, in the Compur/Prontor mold.

>Please note that mass will directly affect the results... SLR's have a lot
>going on, obviously more than a Leica M model.  And SLR's may have more
>massive shutters...

I don't think there's anything more massive about SLR focal plane
shutters than the Leica focal plane shutter. It's simply a matter of more
additional machinery to operate. Leica's cloth focal plane shutter blades
are more massive than, for instance, the titanium shutter blades of a
Nikon FE2, which is one reason why the FE2's shutter can achieve 1/4000
second exposure times, even though it's operational lag time is probably
triple to quadruple the Leica M.

Actually, thinking about all of this, one of the reasons I like non-SLR
cameras which I often forget comes back to mind. With an SLR, the subject
is hidden from you for the shutter firing sequence: you cannot actually
see the subject at the instant of exposure. Let's say an average SLR with
a lag time of 120ms .... You see what you want and trip the shutter, the
mirror swings up and almost 1/8 of a second later the shutter begins
exposing film. You still have to wait through the exposure time
(horizontal fp shutter approximately 13ms plus the shutter exposure time)
and then another likely 120ms for the systems to all reset. That means
your subject has been out of view for almost 1/4-1/3 second. A lot of
facial expressions can happen in that time. A simpler camera (a Leica M,
a Rollei 35, a Minox 35, etc) not only has less lag involved but you can
see the subject all through the exposure process and know exactly what
you've captured on film. This may account for the real reason why "street
photography" and other candid portraiture is often easier to achieve with
the Leica M and non-SLR cameras, not merely shutter lag considerations.

It's a thought. I've done similar photography with all types of cameras
and not really spent a great deal of thought as to whether I consistently
get better results with one camera type rather than with a specific
camera. Some cameras fit my hands and way of thinking better than others,
and those are the ones that I tend to make my best pictures with.

Godfrey