Subject: Carrying a Leica
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 08:29:59 -0500

What to carry, and how to carry it?

My Leica M6 and 3 lenses are the "travel fast and light" system.  When
the purpose of the trip is photography I use a Contax RTS III and enough
lenses to fill a Mini-Trecker backpack.  Virtually every shot is from
atop a Manfrotto 3221 with B1 ballhead. But, for business travel or when
traveling with my spouse, where photography can=92t dominate -- but is
necessary for the soul -- the Leica is it.

My system consists of an M6 body, 35mm Summilux, 50mm Summicron and 90mm
Elmarit.  A B+W KR1.5 filter for each =96 for when the weather gets bad, =

and a Leica tabletop tripod with ball head also come along.  My favorite
accessory is the Leica M lensholder that attaches to the baseplate and
allows a second lens to be bayoneted to it.  Makes an M a bit bulky, but
I love the ability to quickly exchange lenses.  Add to this a Sekonic
L308 incident meter and a half dozen rolls of Provia 100 and you have
the makings for a perfect day of exploring a new city or hiking in the
mountains.  There=92s little that this system can=92t handle; weighs less=

than 3 lbs, and everything fits comfortably into the small Billingham
f/5.6 bag, or if I need to be a bit more inconspicuous, an beat up
canvas pouch bag that looks like it might contain a pair of old gym
shoes.  =

In the countryside I=92ll simply work out of the bag or a photo jacket,
but in the city, when shooting, I offload everything into pockets and
leave the bag at the hotel.  The M6 goes over the shoulder, tucked in
behind so that the lens is facing inward, sort of under my arm on a
shorten strap. This makes the fact that I=92m carrying a camera much less=

conspicuous, yet allows it to come up to the eye very quickly.

Though I think that a chrome M6 is esthetically more pleasing than
black, a black M6 just looks much like another point&shoot to most
people.  I=92ve wander the streets of countless cities around the world
and found that it raises hardly a glance.  Part of being inconspicuous
when doing street shooting is to dress the part.  I take off expensive
watches and rings, and dress in simple clothing, slacks and a plain
shirt =96 not jeans, not shorts, no safari jackets!  Been doing this for
35 years with M2s, M3s and now M6s, both as a pro and as an amateur,
with never a hassle.

Michael