Subject: Re: A Puzzlement!!!
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 97 13:09:29 -0800

I normally check only one piece of luggage, and I bring one small carry-on
(an old French Army bag). I am like Godfrey. I like the freedom to walk
without encumbrances. The main principle for me is to keep a "low" profile
anywhere I go. Being discrete is a sign of respect. So I dress up
'discretely', and move around with my cameras without being offensive. No
photo bag, no photo vest. Just a simple French Army rucksack, and sometimes
in local cloths. They are most adapted to climate and rough traveling. You
also come closer to people that way.

I have been working and travelling in Africa quite a lot, and I know that in
spite of these precautions, I am still a 'bwana'. But at least a 'bwana' who
respect local customs. In all my behavior I try keeping to this. I speak
fluently English and French, and some Spanish and Arab. In Africa that works
fine. The 'lost' continent has a strong power of attraction, and even if the
photography I defend, has few 'clients', even if few are interested in
seeing Africans living, laughing and working, I continue. I prefer
travelling alone, unless perhaps in certain sensible areas, war zones, and
so on.

I have been using Leica M's for years, with a 35mm and a 50mm. I prefer the
classic, human eye perspective. I once went to the Ivory Coast only with two
Rolleiflex TLR's. That was a very interesting experience. The Rolleiflex is
one of the most discrete and rugged cameras ever made.

Now I am fanatic about pocket cameras and a minimized camera outfit. Next
time I will bring just two Rollei 35's (40mm), a Contax TVS (28-56mm), and
the new Olympus mju-2/Stylus-2 (35mm). The Rolleis and the Contax have the
same filter diameter, so I bring a couple of yellow and green filters. I
will bring a Sunpak Autopro 120J-DX open bulb flash, and a mini tripod,
'hidden' between the clothes in the checked luggage. Last winter I was in
northern Norway with this equipment under very rugged conditions, and it
worked fine.

I don't bring much films. I have wife and children, and might not leave for
2-3 months any more...  For a one month trip I will bring about 20 Pro-packs
of Tri-X, packed in Posso Film Guardian Boxes, and black plastic garbage
bags. I also carry a Gossen meter, spare batteries, a Swiss Army knife, a
First Aid Kit, needle & thread, a SW radio, and some gadgets.

I am not 'shooting', I take my time. I might wait for days without touching
a camera. I am educated as a Social Anthropologist, and I have always kept
this need to 'eradicate' myself before I start working. I prepare the trip
long time before I am leaving, reading about the region I am going to,
finding out about local customs, and developing a clear idea about what I
want to do, the purpose with the trip. If I have a good idea, and keep to
it, and if I am lucky, I usually bring back a few good pictures with some
sort of a sense.

Oddmund

- ---
Oddmund Garvik - <garvik@i-t.fr>
Today's topic - Focus on images (Save the Children).
http://www.oneworld.org/scf/focusim.html