Subject: Re: Leica Alternatives
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 23:07:03 -0500

At 09:44 PM 3/24/97 -0400, Paul wrote:
>>From what I've read, the reson for the Contax shutter's complex design
>was that Leitz patents limited the available options that the Zeiss Ikon
>designers had.

No, this simply isn't true.  The Leica patents dealt with the RF and not
with the shutter assembly, which was not that unique a design -- many Zeiss
Ikon cameras had quite similar FP shutters.

What motivated Zeiss Ikon in the design of the Contax, as Jason Schneider
smugly put it, "was pride.  After all, how could the mighty firm of Zeiss
Ikon, the largest and most respected camera producers in Germany, with an
ancient and noble heritage, allow these upstart microscoep makers from
Wetzlar to tell them, even by sucessful example, how to design a 35mm
camera?  They would do it themselves, the right way, from scratch!"

This theory rings true.  If Leica used a horizontal, cloth shutter, then by
gum, Zeiss Ikon would use a vertical, metal shutter!

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315