Subject: Why I Sold My Contax Stuff
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 19:04:36 -0500

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I have been a Leica user since I could afford one - which is about 15 years
ago.  I started with the M4-P and have since moved up to the M6.  Never a
complaint on quality, ability to get the job done and retained value.

Last year I got into the Contax system with a G-1, 28mm, 45mm, 90mm and
flash.  I had every intention of adding the 16mm Zeiss Hologon lens this
Summer.  After working with this outfit for a full year, it just didn't
have the focussing speed or accuracy I was used to with the manual Leica.
When I bought it new, all of it together cost me about $3000 and change.  I
was offered $650 from the dealer I bought it from.  They told me "well, the
G-1 was replaced by the G-2 and the lenses are now used and
blah,blah,blah...

Talk about sticker shock.  I went to another dealer in Philadelphia and got
$1300 for the stuff toward a new M6 that will be delivered next week.  I
know that all technology equipment goes down in price the minute you take
it out the door - but I wasn't prepared for this.  I still use a Contax T2
and a TVS but will not buy other higher priced Contax equipment again.  The
Contax G-2 seems to focus faster and will deliver up to four frames a
second - but will the electronics still be working in 50 years?  My Leica
"Standard" that was made in 1929.  The shutter still seems to be working
fine.  It is interesting using a camera that is older than I am.

It seems I always come back to Leica.  You can pay full price (with a
factory rebate) for a Leica lens or camera or get a good piece of Leica
equipment used for a fair value.  You can also re-sell it and you won't
lose your shirt in the process - especially if you bought it second hand in
the first place.

I am sure Contax is a fine rangefinder camera. It always worked.  But after
going through the rude awakening of its resale, I think I'll just stick to
Leica rangefinder equipment and my closet full of F-1's and F1n's SLRs with
FD lenses.

Sincerely,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD