Subject: anamorphic lenses
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:26:22 +0000

One of the less-used things in my Oddball Gizmos Box (we've all got one of
those, haven't we?) is an anamorphic lens attachment.  It happens to fit
over an A36-mount lens, but was presumably not intended to, as it vignettes
so much that even a half-frame-sized image would lose a bit in the corners;
it must have been for a 16mm movie camera.  So all I've done with it is make
a few weirdly squished self-portraits (don't like the idea of doing that to
somebody else's features).

Idle curiosity: did anybody ever try this route to doing panoramic-format
photography on 35mm?  I presume that if it was tried for any system, Leica
screwmount would have been it.  (It would seem to be an obvious thing to use
for shooting stills of wide-format movies, so maybe there was actually a
market for such a lens and its partner enlarger lens).

Jack Campin   2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE, Scotland  0131 556 5272
   http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html - for resources on food allergy
   & intolerance; McCarrison Society pages; freeware logic fonts for the Mac