Subject: Re: which one
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 09:10:14 -0800

Harrison McClary wrote:

> The most enjoyable thing for me during my career as a photographer has not
> been any of the cameras I have owned, it has been the places they have
> taken me, the exciting things I have seen.  Finally, and most improtant to
> me, the people I have met while shooting their photographs.  I have made
> more friends, and have experienced more professions than most people have
> even heard of, all with out watching TV!

Harrison:

Absolutely.  In the last couple of weeks I've gone from quiet, dim
offices with CAD systems run by naval architects to smelly fiberglass
lamination factories where I had to cover the gear with plastic (and
have to go replace the lenses in my glasses due to  fallout).  I've met
people who smell like sweat and swear at every problem and discussed
with them the best bars with the best (read: loosest) women.  And met
others who love to discuss philosophy and literature and fly fishing (a
sort of religion!).

All this while taking pictures or having lunch.

I even got to met Ted Grant in person at a photojournalism conference in
Vancouver and watch the faces of younger photographers filled with
admiration as they spoke with him.

I met a woman at a shop where they make wiring harnesses who had been
there three years creating one multi-wire plug and didn't know into what
it plugged.

I met three guys slopping hot fiberglass resin with their bare hands and
when I asked if that was healthy they replied, "Hell, No!" and grinned
with pride.

I saw a single, perfect, beautiful tulip flower, the only flower in a
field of cut stems, a late bloomer (like me) which missed the farmer's
shears and will get to live it's life as it should.

Yeah, bitch and moan as I may, we are blessed to live with open eyes.

Donal Philby
San Diego