Subject: Re: film not dead in 20 years....
From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:28:33 -0700

Donal Philby wrote:

> Coming back from the PMA show in Las Vegas year before last I was
> sitting on plane next to an English rep for some of the processing
> machinery.  She said what this is all about (APS) is that the mini lab
> is dying,   The demand for 60 minute processing is not that strong and
> all the manufacturers needed to find a way to sell more equipment.  And
> the use of photography (which means amateur, of course) is apparently
> has little growth potential, except by manufacturing obsolescence.
>
> There are some advantages, of course, but the bottom line is to sell
> costly machinery.

Interesting perspective. Apparently the small and independent minilab
owners have been a major opponent of the APS system, even though most
carry the cameras on their shelves. The system requires a large
investment in new processing equipment, and many of them apparently saw
it as a move to put them out of business and allow the humongous
companies to capture their market share and whatever growth the new
system would produce.

Lack of overall growth, from an industry perspective, is indeed the
problem.  Interestingly, many minilab people say the best thing happening
for them is not high end, APS or point-and-shoots. It's the disposable
camera. Their use is booming. Watch your local mall minilab
operator sometime;  I'll bet you notice he or she handles a lot of them.
 I guess many people just find even the point-and-shoots are too
daunting or too much bother.

Regards,

Bill Welch