Subject: Re: Model Releases
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 08:47:32 -0800

Carl Socolow wrote:

> The whole idea of getting releases degrades and slows down the candid
> nature of my work. In addition, when you start shoving legal mumbo-jumbo
> at the uninformed they have no idea what's going on or they think they
> deserve big bucks. On the other hand, I understand Bruce Davidson got
> permission and/or releases when he did his Central Park series for his
> book on same.
>
> I use the Leicas and my street photography to get away from the whole
> notion of photography as work or a job. A means of rediscovering what
> moves me and what I truly love about it instead of what a client wants.
> Why does it always have to get so complicated?

Do you remember Ben's post asking why experiment on animals when there
are so many lawyers?  There's your answer.

For editorial or personal use, you don't need a release.  Advertising
use implies endorcement and needs a release.  I'm sure you know this.

There was a NYC shooter who came out here to California and did a book
called California One, that showed people along the coast and his
publisher demanded that everyone easily identified have a release.  So
he came with small crew and they did it, either before or after the
shot.

He was here in town for ASMP meeting and the sad part was that those of
us in the audience kept wondering what he was thinking, because so few
of the pictures showed the reality of life here.  They were simply a New
Yorker's conception of how weird life is here on the coast.  He brought
his own ideas and forced reality to fit.  Ho-Hum.

Donal Philby
San Diego