Subject: Re: Concave Lens Elements and Zeiss Digressions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:10:12 -0400

At 07:02 AM 7/16/97 -0700, Frank Filippone wrote:
>"When Dr Ludwig Bertele, arguably the finest optical designer of this
>century, calculated the original Sonnar, the 2/50 Contax lens, the
>mathematical scribblings totted up to a total of more than 3 feet in depth.
> A picture of this stack was much a feature of early Zeiss Ikon advertising
>for the Contax I."
>
>Marc, I want to thank you for this absolutely wonderful piece of trivia.  I
>had always wondered what that pile of paper had to do with the then new
>Contax camera.  Where do you get these stories?   After collecting Zeiss
>Contax  for 30 odd years, I never heard such detail.

Gads.  I believe it's on one of the adverts I have.  I have stacks of old
Zeiss and Zeiss Ikon literature, and Larry Gubas -- archivist for Zeiss
Historica -- has barrels and bales of the stuff.  Some of it is flummery,
some of it is quite informative.

Old Leica literature is the same way.  Wonderful stuff, when you can get it
cheap!

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!