Subject: Re: Was Riboud Show - dented Leica glass
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 31 Aug 97 11:21:27 EDT

Eric Welch wrote:

<<<<Yes, but there is a "look" to Leica pictures.>>>>>

Hi Eric,

glad to see your back and it's OK to use the F5's we wont let that interfere
with our relationship, will we Dan. :)

The "look" to Leica pictures is more to do with the image as you pointed out in,

<<<<<Given these are the best engravers in the world, it's likely not to be so
obvious in most magazines, but the color rendition, and the modulation of tones
have become familiar to me. I know the look. Has nothing to do with
sharpness.">>>>>>>>>

It isn't simple to articulate, as if you attempt to describe the "Leica look"
there will be a dozen folks with different items to add to what they see and or
feel what it is.

In my case the "look recognition factor" has been learned over the years of
looking at thousands of slides and prints, not just my own, but of those many
photographers whom I have their books in my personal library or their work
published and in exhibitions.

Is it something you can see in the daily paper?  Not likely if you are looking
for sharpness in reproduction, but in some cases it is possible where the
photographer was working with available light and non flash filled pictures.

I'm not going to say you can do it every single time, particularly if you are
looking at the work of a very astute "available light photographer" using
another manufacturers gear. But even then, if you give that photographer Leicas
to work with, his pictures will become more distinct looking.

Describe exactly what I mean? As I said above, it is the " recognition factor"
as they just look different in clarity, sharpness of light, contrast etc.These
are a few things and I can't give  every single thing that factors into a "Leica
look recognition factor" if I tried. It just comes from experience of looking at
the work of many other photographers who are Leica users and those that are not.

ted