Subject: Re: Japanese "M" mount / Nikkor "E"
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 23:24:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997 Leikon35@aol.com wrote:

> << >
>  Sorry, I failed to include the following statement also told
>  to me. Some time ago a significant turning point occured in lens
>  manufacture. It is that the lens mount became more expensive to
>  make than the optical elements. This might not be the case with
>  the new lenses having one or more aspherical elements, however.
>  But the fact is that high prices on lenses are very often due
>  to the mounts. Ed
>   >>
>  Ed -
>       I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard that the very
>  inexpensive Nikkor "E" lenses are optically the same as the
>  others, but have plastic mounts.
>       Any knowledgeable Nikon users out there?  Steve Gandy ?

The only thing I feel about the plastic mounts is that I've been
using lenses in metal mounts for 40 years plus. I do not know
how plastic mounts wear and whether or not they develop play after
some use. This is one subject not tested and written about by
the photo magazines. New lenses are tested, but not put through
a "torture test" or the same lenses tested again a while down
the road, to see if they have "changed". I'll go with my instincts.
Ed