Subject: Re: digital news photos/concerns
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 97 00:41:58 -0400

>You do what our paper is doing. Put them on CDs. That's a format that will
>be useful for years. DVD can read them. And to make copes if disks will
>probably become common in the future. Dumping the info form CDs to the next
>generation stuff.

Eric,

I'm curious. Do they save everything, or just pick the best shots to
archive? To be honest, I would probably not bother to archive a lot of
the shots that I take, if I used a digital camera, but if I have them on
film I don't throw them away. Then again, I don't flatter myself that I'm
doing things of historical importance. One of the things I mentioned was
that in the future, some shots you might throw away now might have value
later.

Once, when I worked at GE, one of the photographers there and I prepared
some graphics for a trade show, using a digital camera and taking shots
at the show itself to be used a few hours later. It was a tremendous
ammount of fun to do this, and be able to pull the images up on the
computer right away, without waiting for processing and scanning. I fully
understand the appeal of digital, I just feel that we might be in danger
of loosing important images, or of having historical events documented
with a low resolution format.

- - Paul