Subject: Re: [Leica] NOCTILUX
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 11:10:59 -0800

Scott wrote:

<snip>I EXPRESSED INTEREST IN PURCHASING A NOCTILUX LENS FROM MY LOCAL
REPUTABLE DEALER.  HIS RESPONSE WAS IT IS A FINE LENS FOR LOW LIGHT
PURPOSES ONLY.  I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK RE. EXPERIENCE USING THIS
LENS IN EXTERIOR CONDITIONS.  THANK YOU. SCOTT P.
<snip>

I have used the current Noctilux design for the past year.  It works very
well in low light situations and has a special character to it when used
outdoors in brighter light.  Although it could be used for general work,
its main benefits are when it is used wide open or close to it to get shots
others could only dream of.

I prefer to use the newer model 50/2.8 collapsable Elmar for outdoor use
because it is much lighter and smaller.  Also remember that part of the
viewfinder is cut off due to the large diameter of the Noctilux.  I am
willing to put up with this feature in low light but have often becomne
frustrated with it during outdoor daylight shooting.

The Noctilux is a wonderful lens.  I wish I had one years ago.  I wrongly
assumed it was just a special purpose lens.  It is in reality a special
lens for whatever purpose you need it for.  It is also a very good
treatment for carpel tunnel syndrome.  If you carry this heavy lens around,
your hands will get much more exercise and your neck muscles will become
stronger. <bg>

Happy Shooting,

Richard C