Subject: [Leica] Seven element RF Summicron versions (more)
From: aglang@sprynet.com
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:33:07 -0800 (PST)

Erwin,

Was going through my stack of  Viewfinder's and found that article:

For your information;

(please excuse me if you have the article)

VIEWFINDER Vol 22, No. 1, 1989

Article by Walter Mandler D Sc.:

LEICA LENSES AND EARLY COMPUTERS

on page 11:

"A formidable task was already waiting for the new computing power: to re-design
the Summicron 50mm f/2 for better performance at close-up distances.  The result
of these calculations was the second version of the Summicron 2/50, available
both as rigid mount and dual range lens, ( The second version has a longer
distance from the first surface to film.) Other concurrent and subsequent
designs done on the Z5 computer were the Elmar 2.8/50 and Summilux 1.4/50."

hope your tests include close-up performance.

Cheers!

Adam