Subject: Re: [Leica] Handheld Limit of Noctilux
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:18:05 EST

This is from the Contax G2 users group.  They are having adiscussion about
sharpness and lens also....

There is a very good discussion of lens quality in the following test report
entitled
Nikon v. Leica:  http://home.navisoft.com/wdhunton/nikvlei.htm.

Mr. Hunton, for those not interested in the full report:

"I have been photographing over 30 years, and during that time I have owned
nearly every brand of camera, from 35mm to large
format.  I have had Canon, Pentax, Yashica, Contax, Nikon,  Leica,  Olympus,
Fujica,  Mamiya,  Hasselblad,  Diana,
 Tachihara, Crown Graphic, and  Minolta.  I have had several models of each;
rangefinder and SLR.  I have some very definite
opinions (don't we all).  The central opinion now fully developed, so to
speak,
and probably most controversial, is that within
format, there is very little difference in the optics among camera brands. All
of them do a very good job, and if you can
withstand the marketing hype, and learn to use the camera you have instead of
purchasing the latest object of camera lust, you
will be a better photographer and a richer one, too.  I have been through it;
have been a camera fool.   Now, I do have
preferences and favorites, but the reasons are pretty subjective."

It would be interesting for someone to do a comprehensive blind test to
determine if anyone can tell the difference between photos or slides shot
under the same conditions with top quality lenses of different manufacturers.

Tom Shea