Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions Please
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 01:06:19 +0000

On 18 Feb 98 at 23:38, Marc James Small wrote:

> If you are serious about photography, having several Leicas, a
> Hasselblad, and a couple of Rollei TLR's strikes me as the only way
> to fly.  A Super Ikonta is nice as a MF backup, too.

Honestly, Marc, I don't know how you can say you're serious about
photography with that limited kit.  None of those cameras are really
appropriate for serious field photography.  Of course I enjoy using
my little Leicas, but for my serious field photography, I have two
systems.  One is a KH-11 Kennan/Crystal I bought surplus a couple of
years ago.  KH-11's have really been a bargain since the introduction
of the KH-12 Improved Crystal.  They're not inexpensive, but they
were basically the best thing you could get a few years ago, and who
wants to pay the outrageous prices the French charge to let you use
SPOT?  Compared to those prices, a surplus KH-11 in a 300x1000 km
orbit will pay for itself in just a couple of years, and more
quickly if you and a couple of other guys go in on a ground station
together.

My other system, which I've mostly kept up for sentimental reasons
now that I have the KH-11, is a Russian KFA-1000.  This is the
system I recommend for the hobbyist on a limited budget who isn't
sure whether to make a major investment.  KFA-1000's are widely
available in Soviet successor states whose names end in "stan".  You
know, Kazakhstan, Baluchistan, Uzbekistan... you get the idea.  This
was my first orbital imaging system, bought in 1990 and launched on
one of those cheapo Chinese CZ-3 birds.  Build quality being what it
is in Russia these days, you may find that you have to go through a
few of these to find one that really works, so make sure you work
with a reputable dealer who won't shoot you in the head if you ask
for an exchange.  Yes... it's sad, but it does happen.

I should probably mention that if you do decide to go into orbital
imaging, you have to be extra-extra-careful about what you
photograph and where you exhibit or publish.  Forget everything you
know about model releases and lawsuits.  If the wrong people catch
you photographing the wrong thing with your KFA-1000, they are not
gonna sue you!  Instead, some guys are going to come to your house in
the middle of the night, throw a bag over your head, and take you
someplace where you won't be reading your email.

So, yes, my hobby is expensive, and there are risks.  But if you're
really REALLY serious about photography...

- -Patrick