Subject: Re: [Leica] Vario Elmar 80/200 f4 Vs leicaflex SL
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 19:45:59 -0800

Guido Ridoli wrote:

<snip>I have a problem with my Vario Elmar 80/200 f4.  I can't use it with
LEICAFLEX SL.

Since I only began using the Leica R system last year, most of my R lenses
are equipped with the ROM chip.  I can only use these lenses on my R8 (Ted
talked me into it!!)  It would damage the ROM R lens to use it on my older
Leicaflex SL body.

In order to solve this "problem" of lens/body incompatibility, I just
ordered a new R 6.2 body as a back-up for my R8.  3 cam lenses can be used
on an R8 and Leicaflex SL but   ROM lenses can only be used on R bodies.
If you are using the newer series of ROM chip lenses, do NOT attempt to put
them on your Leicaflex SL body.

When comparing the sound of the shutters, the Leicaflex SL has it all over
the R6.2 and R8.  It just must be something about the older mechanical
cloth shutter that I find appealing.  The 80-200/4 zoom lens is a great
lens.  Not as good as the Apo version, but still very good.  Ted is still
my hero 'cause he's got the 70-180 apo zoom lens and I don't.  He's even
got a 15mm Elmar that I can only dream of.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA