Subject: Re: [Leica] 2/90 R Summicron rumor
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 16:01:05 -0500

At 07:21 PM 4/5/98 +0200, you wrote:

>Solms needs a little pushing and could rush the M series selling
>ciphers, if they'd allow a temporarily limited 90 mm advantage.
>Maybe, they may even put a little pressure on the Contax ciphers.
>
>Or is it completely absurd from economical standpoint ?

Maybe not, but I don't understand what you mean by cipher. To me that has
to do with secret codes, or writing dictated words.

Where have you heard Leica has had such losses in Asia? Was it on their web
page? I'd like to see the international numbers, since sales in the U.S.
and many other places are so much better since the introduction of the R8,
and with all these new lenses, I can't imagine it going down everywhere.
What would explain the losses in Asia? Interesting.

I have another theory that might go with yours. Maybe they have a surplus
of the 90 Summicron R's and they don't see the need to make any more for a
while, so the manufacturing capacity can be utilized for some other lenses.
Then when that slows down, or the supply in stock diminishes, they'll start
making the APO R version? Either way, they can work with their capacity to
produce the maximum equipment to keep us happy. :-) No more winder/motor
shortages of supplies, we can hope.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You'll get what's coming to you ... Unless mailed