Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 19:51:40 -0500

At 09:23 AM 4/6/98 -0800, you wrote:

>people using negatives.  I have watched meter swings through 2 stops
>differences depending on how much white sail or white hull in in the

It's called manual metering. You take meter readings, and based on
experience, you can determine the exposure. Leave it on manual, and voila!
The exposure remains perfect. I've done it for years.

And the fact that incident meters don't tell you about the reflectivity of
a subject might help in average situations, it won't help the photographer
who doesn't know when to vary from the exposure when the range of the light
is wider than the range the film can handle, and then they have to bias it
one way or the other. You I'm sure can do that.

Speaking of built-in meters. Today I tested my R8's flash meter against a
Minolta Flashmeter IV in the studio, shooting a still-life. Dead on.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The young child is looking in the world to find himself -
reflected in a mirror with a thousand faces.

- -Maria Montessori