Subject: RE: [Leica] Cool Leica Pictures
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 22:40:53 -0500

At 06:31 PM 4/8/98 +0200, you wrote:

>We could do blind tests. Please check the CoolPix 900 info page on the
>Nikon site: some of the pictures there could serve as propaganda for Leica
>glass and high quality film. They are just plain perfect. On the Web. try
>this: http://www.nikonusa.com/products/imaging/images/moosebird.jpg

Tell me about it. Like the Apple ad for their first digital camera, which
was a piece of crap and made pictures that were no good at 2x3 inches! The
ad in the magazines were all superb. You sure they were made with that camera?

>get 24-bit at the office though.Your JPEG compressions are destructive and
>larger pictures would take too long to download. I think this is an average
>Web experience. The more I look at it, the more I believe black and white
>is better suited for Web scrutinity than colour.

Where do you get the impression that JPEG destroys it? Where do you see JPG
artifacts in my pictures? Sure, blow them up real big, and they get jaggie,
but the tonal modulation is also destroyed at that size.

Enjoy Marakkesh. I remember Bruno Barbey talking about Fez smelling like
the stench of a thousand dead camels. Hope Marrakech is better. :-)

Go ahead and share your pictures. I think if all we do is flex our
"spending" muscles to prove what great equipment we bought, and not
pictures that mean something to us, well, we're pretty dang boring.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

IRS: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!