Subject: Re: [Leica] Ukrainian Leica Copies
From: omegaman <omegaman@shentel.net>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 18:32:49 -0400

AAPR MBS wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I recall a post several months back regarding Ukrainian and Russian Leica
> Copies. An associate of mine will be travelling to Ukraine (Lviv) in the
> near future and I was wondering what is available, what to stay away from
> and how much the cameras and lenses would cost (USD). I am not looking
> for Leica Fakes such as the much copied Luxus, but cameas like the FED 5C
> etc.
> Also is there a source on the web with more info on these russian/
> Ukrainian cameras?
>
> Thanks
>
> Myron B. Soltys
> O-
Myron:
About three years ago the Fed 5c was selling in Moscow for $7 US.  Over
here you could buy then for as little as $59.95.  They have gone up
quite a bit since then.  The latest price listed at Kiev USA is $178.  A
fellow I know went to Russia in 1996 and was buying Contax style turret
finders for $10 each - now expect to pay around $100 over here.  The two
best choices for 35mm rangefinder would be the FED 5c or the Zorki 4K.
They both load much better than LTM Leicas as the backs come off for
with lever film advance.  Both have bright rangefinders.  The 5c has an
uncoupled meter, the Zorki has no meter.  I have never had any problem
with either of these and no trouble mounting and focussing any M39 lens,
Leica or other.
Let me know if you had any specific questions
Randolph Carlisle