Subject: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica
From: "James Burris" <jabu@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:05:12 -0700

	I think that Leica will use those extra contacts in the R8 to provide a AF
possible R9 with a few AF lenses along the  line of Canon's Ultrasonic
lenses.  I'm not much of a believer in AF, as I believe that it takes some
of the fun out of photography for me.  However, that said, I do believe
that there would be a market for an AF 90, 180, 300 + TCs.  Realistically,
I think that by covering those focal lengths, most AF needs would be
satisfied, without affecting the 'spirit' of Leica.

	I would also like to say that I would not support a Leica body along the
lines of the Contax AX.  While it is an interesting piece of machinery, I
think its design is not practical as it is too big.  I'd sure hate to carry
two of those bodies around.   So while I think AF is inevitable, I hope
that Leica does it in such a way that it doesn't detract from the
utilitarian simplicity that defines Leica to me.

James