Subject: [Leica] RE: Australian Landscapes
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:26:00 +1000

Alistair,

This sounds like a wonderful trip and I am envious.  I had a big time
landscape learning experience at Uluru last year. It was pre-Leica M for
me so my gear was a Nikon FM2 (and 85, 50, 50 macro, 35PC) and a 6x6
Zeiss-Ikon Nettar (well, at least its the same format as the 'blad) but
I guess what I am saying is that I had both 6x6 and 35mm with me which
relates to your post.  The precis of what follows is that if you are new
to landscape photography, experiment.

Here are some of my thoughts on your questions:

 >  I note that some of you use telephotos. How? Why?

I'm not a telephoto user but I do favour my 85mm Nikkor.  What I like
about the longer focal length is being able to pick off the bit of the
expansive scene before me that really catches my eye.  With a scene that
grabs me I try understand what the 'hook' is for me in what I am seeing.
Often it is something that isn't wide angle but narrow - the rest is
'packaging'.  I did get the opportunity to try a 300mm lens of a fellow
photographer I met and it was nice, but personally I think the 'lugging
to benefit ratio' is poor, but then I spent most of my time on foot.
Having said all that, when I got home and went through my material I
wish I'd put a 35mm or 50 mm on more often as I have a lot of tight
scenes but maybe not enough space - all that beautiful Australian space.

 >  What do you look for in landscape detail?

Alistair, you have skill on the streets in picking off scenes, so you
know what to do.  Wait for the shot that takes you and then take the
shot.  Why *do* we take all these photos?  One thing I have learned (and
this is pure personal preference) is that if you are guided by the rule
of thirds, and are using colour for a wide angle 'panorama' (which for
me means 35mm) , try giving the larger portion of the image to the sky.
The sky here so often dominates the landscape and is totally cloudless.
I know bare sky is traditionally regarded as 'boring' in landscape
photography, but it is worth paying homage to and an Ilfochrome with red
earth and a metallic indigo sky is a joy to behold.  After dusk the
transition in colours from horizon to zenith is simply beautiful .  For
land/sky shots I now often use the rule of quarters or fifths.  Try one
or two and see what you think.

 >  Which films are favoured?

For Uluru I was new to the game so I took a bit of everything -
Kodachrome 64 & 200, Agfa RSX 50, Velvia, Optima 100, Ultra 50 for
colour.  APX25, Agfa Ortho (for fun), Delta 100 & 400 and Tri-X in B&W
for both 35mm and 120 (I only use B&W in the Nettar - for no apparent
reason, just because).  If I could only take 1 colour film I'd choose
K64.  It copes beautifully with skies that are so blue you feel like
dissolving and becoming part of it all, and it does the red/brown earth
just as well.  The K200 at dusk was useful.  Velvia was just great for
wildflowers, but can be a bit slow for macro if there is a breeze.  The
Ilfochromes from all are glorious.  I am an Optima 100 fan and can't
look past it for landscape prints - very true colour, nice and dense
with a touch over exposure.  For B&W you probably have your favourites
now and I'd take what you are used to.

 >  How do you present your results?

Just now I am putting together a slide show for a native plant group (it
will be on in Melbourne if you are interested), my favourites I hang on
my walls, and I put little picture books together - but my photography
is for my own pleasure and to show friends.  Your goals may be
different.

 >  What times of day are best? Exposure tips?

The usual - get out an hour before and after sun up and sun down.  At
dusk I think a lot of photographers go home too early.  Get out your
cable release and try some long exposures with K64.  I reckon its worth
experimenting with mid-day also.  Harsh shadows can be marvellous
subjects.  10am -  2pm the sky turns indigo straight up - try it as a
background to something.  Exposure?  My main advice on exposure is take
of your shoes and forget the snakes.  Melbourne is much more dangerous.
Someone other than me should advise photographically.  I keep things
pretty simple - on or just under for chromes and on or just over for
prints.  This seems to work for me.

 >  What printed resources are useful? And would Jim please give me a
review of tripods and stability issues.  It must be at
least 18 months since his excellent review, and I would have Buckley's
of finding it in the files.

Get a Lonely Planet guide and some National Park info (I found good
material on the net for Uluru from the National Parks people).  Pay your
respects to the elders and ask for advice on where to go next.   I took
my Manfrotto 190 head which has those little bubble level things built
in to keep the horizon straight.  It was great.   With trusty Man Frotto
and the spirit guides I keep a level head and get clarity of vision.

 >  Finally, equipment. I had originally planned to dust off the 'blad,
but with the expansion of my Leica R stable, especially the telephoto
side of things, I'm tempted to stick with 35mm on this journey and shoot
lots of rolls.

I like the square for composing in B&W - if I had a blad I'd take it for
a change of pace, but then if I had a 'blad I think I'd take it
everywhere.  If you are worried about keeping things simple just take an
80mm lens.  This is one of those personal preference things I guess.

 >  Do I need a polarizer, and if I'm to do B/W work, which colour
filters are a must?

Australia is so colourful -  why mess it up with a polariser?  I'd take
a yellow filter.  I only had an orange with me and found that the
deepness of the sky during the day (8 - 4) caused the resulting image to
come out far too dark in my filtered shots.  As with exposure this is
not my theoretical strong point.

All the best with your travels,
Rob.