Subject: Re: [Leica] [Partly Relevant] The Economical Leica and Future Film
From: "Bryan Willman" <bryanwi@seanet.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:13:31 -0700

I worried about film getting replaced by digital for a time.
I don't anymore.

Why?  Because people still *paint* with brushes, and
print with Platinum.  Because B&W film is still sold.
Because Tube Amplifiers appear to be making a come-back.
Because you can still buy a turn-table for vinyl records.

And because in some parts of the computer market
people are simply exhausted by the rate of change.

I'm sure common cases and economics will change.

Just as most portraits are now photographs rather
than paintings, and passport photos are now polaroids
rather than "standard" photos, some parts of the market
will become standardized on new technology.
So portrait studios, newspapers, passport photo shops,
etc, may become very digital.

But the total number of film sizes has declined over the
past decades (try to buy 110 or 126 film lately?)  That's
good for the long term because it means more market
mass is concentrated behind common formats.

So, you'll likely be able to get 35mm, 120, and 4x5 film
for a very very long time (maybe forever)  Some consumer
only sorts of films will disappear with their market, some
exotic films will disappear if their numbers decline.

Happily, Leica's use the hyper standard and very widely
available 35mm film, which gets added market mass by
being one of the sizes used for movie film.

I expect to be using my M's (Eos's and Linholf, for
that matter) for decades.

bmw