Subject: [Leica] R4 thoughts
From: "James Burris" <jabu@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:20:10 -0700

- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD8FA2.5AD319E0

Hey,

I have a Portugese R4 ser# 1560496 and have had it for a year now.  So far
all that has failed on it was the light seal around the film window - a
very common problem of all the Rs.  The camera, despite being an early
model, has performed perfectly and meters more accurately than my RE.  I
love it!  Now I don't expect it to be as durable as a R6, R7, or a R8, but
for $300 who can complain?  I see the R4, like the R3, as the ultimate
backup body.  They are cheap and you can stick a Leica lens on them!

Another thought came from a friend of mine who also switched to Leica in
the recent past.  He purchased an R3 and has had no problems with it.  His
point was that if R3s and R4s had electrical problems, those cameras with
the problems would have been smashed on some concrete stairs (sorry Ted :))
or otherwise relegated to the scrap heap by now and more than likely only
the good ones (with some exception) are left at this point.

So I say let's modify discussion of R3s and R4s to only include cameras
that have been purchased in the last few years.

James
- ------=_NextPart_000_01BD8FA2.5AD319E0

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"MS Sans Serif">Hey,<br><br>I have a Portugese =
R4 ser# 1560496 and have had it for a year now. &nbsp;So far all that =
has failed on it was the light seal around the film window - a very =
common problem of all the Rs. &nbsp;The camera, despite being an early =
model, has performed perfectly and meters more accurately than my RE. =
&nbsp;I love it! &nbsp;Now I don't expect it to be as durable as a R6, =
R7, or a R8, but for $300 who can complain? &nbsp;I see the R4, like the =
R3, as the ultimate backup body. &nbsp;They are cheap and you can stick =
mine who also switched to Leica in the recent past. &nbsp;He purchased =
an R3 and has had no problems with it. &nbsp;His point was that if R3s =
and R4s had electrical problems, those cameras with the problems would =
have been smashed on some concrete stairs (sorry Ted :)) or otherwise =
relegated to the scrap heap by now and more than likely only the good =
ones (with some exception) are left at this point.<br><br>So I say let's =