Subject: RE: Re: Was: [Leica] Noctilux Now: Summilux
From: Alan Ball/LUNA<AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 12:37:41 +0200

This reminds me of the brutal change of positions of the more vocal Leica
users religious leaders regarding the 35mm f2 summicron and the rangefinder
performance of the M6 with longer/faster lenses a few months ago.

Before the asph version came out, the Church was singing moving praises to
the good, old, faithfull and "unsurpassed"  'cron (with dissident sects
favouring the Canadian production over the German one or vice versa). When
the 35mm f2 asph came out, the Church decided it was obvious everyone
needed the new lens, that it was so much better than the previous, that it
showed the Leica superiority, etc.

Same for the M6 RF: I still have copies of numerous preachers of our Church
who explained at length and vigorously that the M6 + 75mm f1.4 was a great
couple, better than any SLR, that the RF was fantastically precise (though
a few older worshippers regretted the M3 viewfinder/RF for precision
focusing). All of a sudden the 0.85/HM version comes out, and bingo, again,
it becomes the necessary tool for the 75mm f1.4 or the Noctilux 50mm, shows
the Leica superiority, is what everyone was waiting for etc.

You can be sure that, though now the church leaders praise the mechanical,
horizontal, archaic cloth shutter and the manual operation of the M6, they
will become hysterically mystic about the "unbelievably better " M7 and
that this M7 will "show the Leica superiority, with fantastic electronics,
hyperbolic shutter, etc".

So, dear friends, beware of our priests, get ready for the new verse, all
together now "the coming Summilux is the best, it was absolutely needed,
the old one is soft".  Who cares if the priest ever takes a picture.

For one reliable, serious, objective and articulate Erwin Putts, we have
quite a few devoted parrots acting as ayatollahs....

The Leica marketing dpt can be really grateful to the devotion of those
preachers !

srlondon@ibm.net on 05/06/98 06:29:00
Please respond to leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us