Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New 50 R Summilux
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:34:13 -0400

John McLeod,

>>I tested four new 50/1.4 R lenses....that none of them
    >>were particularly sharp ( center ) at 1.4 or 2.0<<

Thanks for the clarification. It's still hard to believe that
a re-computed formula by Solms would perform so
poorly.......camera body variables aside!

In looking at the MTF charts ( forgive me Erwin Puts ;-);
one "might" conclude that center sharpness at f1.4
is not so bad.

I really was considering a purchase; however, I'll
probably wait until we hear from Erwin Puts. I can't
afford the risk of purchasing this lens, sight unseen,
at this juncture.

Tom D.