Subject: Re: [Leica] lens choice (on-topic)
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:46:26 -0300

Alan:

I think what is important with bigger prints is that you must realize the
viewer will be standing back futher in order to have the proper perspective
on the print.  I am not an art expert, but I think their is a formula for
viewing distance, something like the distance should be no less than the
square of the diagonal distance of the print.  I do not rememer if this is
the correct formula.

To really appreciate the viewing distance problem, go to a National Galery
and look at some of the paintings that are ten feet by twenty feet.  You
have to stand back quite a distance to appreciate the picture.  If you are
too close, it is just blobs of paint.  If a negative is sharp as an 8X10,
it will look fine as a 20X24 if viewed from far enough away.

Regards,

Robert Stevens