Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:57:30 -0500

Arturo,

While this may be true for wire services and newspapers it is far from
true for the majority of publications. Just because he wires and news
print go one way means nothing to the general consumer as far as films
go.  Keep in mind most wire services used to shoot chrome exclusively,
then one day saw the light and started to use color negs.  Now that
digital has gotten "good enough" for newsprint they have switched to this
for speeds sake.

In my line of work I shoot almost exclusively for various magazines the
world over and I can not remember ANY of them saying color neg is ok on a
shoot, all have requested slides (well I did shoot B&W for "Barrons" a
time or two) even though on some of the shoots neg would have been the
far better film to use.

Reasons for this are:
1) When you have the color correct in a slide it is there, in a negative
it is up to the person doing the printing to determine correct color.  If
I have gotten up at 4am to get the perfect light for a shot the last
thing I want is some jerk in a lab deciding the light is too yellow/red
and correcting my color out of the image.  I know this still happens at
the separation stage in printing, but with a slide you can always take it
to the printer and have an unargueable original that shows what the color
should have been.  Also many times I use colored gels to create a certain
effect.  It is hard enough getting these effects right on color slide
film, much less having to worry about the loss in quality by going one
more step of a print, or sending the negs off with out an accurate color
proof having been done by a local lab (unthinkable IMHO).  Doing the
color proof takes time and most of my clients want the film the day after
the shoot.

2) Many of the people editing images are not photographers and have no
idea what the heck they are looking at, and if you throw a bunch of
negatives on a light table in front of them they are really lost (Heck
most of them don't know what they are looking at if you slap them across
the face with it). Contact sheets NEVER do negatives justice and to get
proof prints pulled of every frame on a shoot is a lot more expensive
than chromes are, plus take more time than chrome which at a decent lab
can be done in 2 hours, and if done "in house" in about 45 minutes.  Also
just think of someone trying to edit 1000 digital images.  With slides
you can throw them on a light table compare them side to side and whittle
it down until you have your edit.  With digital you have to put them on a
monitor and it would be harder to randomly move the images around and see
them side to side.  Plus you have to have a really good monitor to see
the image and a small image does not show up as well on monitor as a
slide does on a light table-IMHO

I personally think will be a long long time, if ever, that digital
completely replaces films.  Many people have been forecasting the death
of slides for years because the negs are so good now, but slides are very
much alive and kicking.

And movies are still shot on film even though news-footage is on video.

As far as APS goes all of the images I have seen shot in this format are
not to terribly sharp.  Maybe in 5-10 years it will have progressed to
the point it can compete with 35 on a professional level, but think of
all those out there who still insist that it MUST be 2 1/4 for a typical
magazine cover when modern 35mm films record more than enough data to
give a great looking cover.  Heck many times people have seen some of my
work and asked if it was shot on 6x9 when all it is is Velvia 35mm.

AJSymi@aol.com wrote

>The days of emulsion film are numbered.  When you see an entire photo
>dept. at
>a major newspaper or news agency go digital, look out, its here!  News
>footage
>used to be done on film until video proved better.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto