Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji Film/Toronto Leica Dealers
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

>>> All the above comments about Velvia apply to some degree to all of Fuji's
>>> 100 speed films, except that Astia has especially nice skin tones. For
>>> travel I would pick Sensia, as I do not prefer either Provia or Astia for
>>> that purpose.
>
>How much Astia have you used? I shot about 30 rolls of it on a trip and
>found it to have much better shadow separation than Velvia and much more
>attractive tonality. It differs in more ways than just skin tones. I've
>liked Kodachrome 25 the times that I've used it, but with two stops more
>speed I find Astia a better travel film. Also, I've had beautiful results
>with Ilfochrome prints from Astia.
>
>Since Sensia is Provia without the control on film age, are you choosing
>Sensia for economic reasons?
>
>-Charlie

I've used around 200 rolls, and I do like it. It definitely has better
shadow separation than Velvia, but as I said before, that doesn't mean much
since Velvia probably has the worst shadow separation (shortest toe) of any
general purpose slide film. Astia does not have as good shadow separation
as K25. As for speed, it's true you lose significantly with K25. 1 1/2
stops effectively, in my usage. As for beautiful results from Astia on
Ilfochrome, no argument; you can get wonderful images. I was only talking
about the acutance of K25 vs. virtually any E6 film; here K25 (and K64 and
200) win easily. I know K200 is grainy, but the _apparent_  'sharpness' due
to the high acutance is unmistakeable.

Yes, I am choosing Sensia for economic reasons. If I can get and use Sensia
at a good age point, why pay more? If I went into a store in a strange city
andtherefore had no idea how they stored and handled film I would choose
Provia.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com