Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Montana photographers / Yearbook Advisor
From: jaleblan@dakotacom.net (Jay LeBlanc)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:59:31 -0700 (MST)

  Any Montana list members?
  Sorry, I'm in Arizona, but...
  Surely _one_ of the students must have an available camera in the family,
so I'd suggest this is an ideal situation for the teacher and students to
learn by doing.  If someone can find the camera in the small town, then the
modest budget could be applied to film and processing.  Learning photography
by taking pictures and looking at the results seems like it might fit the
classroom situation.
  I was approached to 'do the yearbook' one time when I was teaching at a
small college.  I agreed on condition that there would be no formal
protraiture, and that each senior picture would consist of a photo session
where the subject was highly involved in the setup.  The yearbook project
turned out splendidly, I had one fellow who dressed up as Teddy
Roosevelt(!), many who wanted photos taken out doors at their favorite spot,
etc.  Seems to me by involving the subjects, everybody could learn a bit
about the craft.
  It would seem that Leica's are a bit out of the question -- they'd be
lucky to get a couple of lens shades for $350.   -Jay-