Subject: Re: [Leica] End of the line
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 21:14:17 +0100

Curt wrote:

<<<<3) Why is there ANY personal dialogue being sent to a distributed list of
600 subscribers?  That's nuts.  Take the stuff private.  I shouldn't need to
use my delete key (or my modem time or space at my ISP) for what are
substantially personal communications.>>>>>

Curt,

You're right, no question! But often what comes in a text appearing
personal is an answer that pertains to many of the 600. Not always, as
personal things slide through and with some an apology for tripping the
wrong send key.

If the world were a perfect place and all photographers used Leicas we
wouldn't be having this conversation... but we aren't perfect and some
folks don't change headers... there have been complaints about this in the
past and it kinda straightens out for awhile, then slips back. Some folks
just get on a word roll and don't pay attention. And that includes me!

<<<<4) Can't understand ANY lack of courtesy under ANY circumstances here.  I
have witness more discourtesy here than I care to tolerate. Truly inexcusable.>>

Gee whiz I don't think we're that bad. Certainly compared to what I've seen
on some of the other electronic photography groups. I consider this a
pretty courteous place, ladies and gentlemen,  with quite often apologies
for mouthing off a tad harshly. Been there, done that!

And to keep the above header in place regarding Erwin Puts departure.

I think it's an absolute crime he has decided to leave, although I can
understand to some degree his departure as the scuttlebutt of the past year
has changed from when I first became a member over two years ago, as has
the names in the family.

If anything, there appears to be a broader base of "photography related
conversation" than direct Leica conversation and that in turn has sent many
LUGNUTS on their way, Erwin one of them. A very unfortunately loss if he
goes, as his technical information was impeccable and forthright honest.

So where do we go from here? Folks clean-up there re-posting with the
correct headers, less personal postings? And then the heart will fall right
out of it and the family will become just a bunch of aliens with no
feelings and warmth of concern for each other......And that happens to be
part of the problem with the world today......we have become a bunch of
cold efficient perfect, what?

Somehow I'll take the LUG as is and with the "techie stuff" back, along
with the "how to stuff" as it's all photography and the damn Leica creates
it all.

So what is a Leica if it isn't every facet of photography and emotion? They
sure as hell have been my emotions and success for close to 40 years and
with any kind of luck, will be a few more yet!

And Curt if you find this a discourteous post I apologize. However, it
isn't meant to be, it's just friends jawing.

ted