Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarger V35
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 23:52:55 -0700

> From: Alberto Rodrguez Robles
>
> I'll like to know your experiences with the Leitz Focomat V35, how old
> is that enlarger and when it was discontinued?  How much is a reasonable
> price for a used one and where can it be found?

 Alberto-
Seeing as how I just now came out of the darkroom after three hours with my
V35, well, that should qualify me to give you a response. The V35 was the
last of the Leitz Focomat series, discontinued about a decade ago. Some
think it is the best one, and I certainly do like it. The interchangeable
color and VC heads are really convenient. After having just done a bunch of
Cibachromes, tonight's B&W session required a 20 second head change and I
was ready to go.

I did a 16x20 group portrait from a Summicron DR 50 at f8 on Ilford Delta
100 - WOW! My AB55 developer gave beautiful contrast with grain just barely
evident on the 16x20. The V35 makes it easy to project a full 16x20
directly to the easel, and the results with the 40mm Focotar are up to
Summicron standards, even at the f4 setting I used tonight.

I don't use my Color Focomat 1c anymore, but still have and love it. The
autofocus was better than the V35 (I still can't get it zeroed in, and not
for lack of trying!), and I liked the easy magnification adjustment.  The
filter drawer was not as handy as the V35 heads, but worked fine. The 1c
puts out more light than the V35 and for me the dim light is the worst
drawback of the V35. The Halogen 75 watt bulb into a diffuser chamber just
can't blast thru some of the denser shadows of a slide to enlarge on
Cibachrome. I really dislike two minute and longer exposure times! So the
V35 and the 1c (especially the last 1c's made) are both really fine
instruments, but each with drawbacks compared to the other.

Try to buy a V35 with the original Focotar 40mm lens if you can - autofocus
may work out better that way. Price for enlarger with lens should be in the
$1000 to $1500 range these days, higher if you find a really mint version.
Some V35's have really been worked over by newspaper darkroom staff over
many years of use, but perhaps that would give you an even cheaper one to
start.

Want the quality without the high price? I'll sell my 1c (mint-) with
Focotar 50mm for $750, plus shipping and handling.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree Lugger, Eureka, CA