Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's future
From: "Howard Sanner" <flagstad@sysnet.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:51:27 +0000

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:33:19 -0700, Jim Brick wrote:

   [Lots of good stuff snipped to save bandwidth.]

>The "real" customer base that floats Leica is not the
>"groupies" like us.

   I don't want to start a flame war with this question, but I
can't help wondering who Leica perceives their customer base to
be? Ted reported that Leica usage at the Commonwealth Games was
next to non-existent. I gather here and elsewhere that this is
largely true among professional photographers--at least among
those that don't subscribe to this list. Leicas of all
descriptions are too expensive for the dilettants, who, for that
kind of money, will not want a camera that requires them to think
anyway. In sum, Leica usage seems to be a specialized, niche
market. So who does float Leica? To me it seems like the
quintessential enthusiast product, though 50 years ago I'm sure
that wasn't true.

**
**                         Howard Sanner
**                Kirsten Flagstad Discographer
**                  Ampex Mailing List Founder
**                     flagstad@sysnet.net
**
*/