Subject: [Leica] A Real <LUG> Experience [my half]
From: "Paul R. Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 12:50:14 -0500

Had noticed a member here who sported an '.sg' in his EMail address.
I was going to pass through Singapore in transit to the Himalaya, so I
dropped him a note.
We exchanged brief messages, he sent his tel. no., I flew there from
Orlando, FL promising to call.

Upon arrival (after more than 21 hours aloft), I rang.  He had an errand
to do, but would drive by my hotel to pick me up late morning.
We were to recognize one another by the black M6's slung around our
necks.

According to plan we met and headed out to shoot his town (he was born
there, a real PLUS for a tour guide).

Please allow that we had never actually met in person, total strangers.
We had only the very briefest of contact via EMail, merely sharing an
interest in photography (and, more specifically, a particular camera.)

Seems that LUGgers, whether here on the mail list or not, share more
than just machine specific interest.
We have a 'passion' for photography.  It is intense and personal, while
committed.  We have evaluated the available tools through experience
and/or research, eliminating the also rans.  While it IS the camera
we've picked, in a manner of speaking- we've allowed the selection to
happen to us.  We didn't join a club, it just sort of envelopes us.

My new found friend and I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon shooting
the many interesting sites in and around Singapore.  I learned a great
deal; about the city, about the region, and about photography [and a
little bit about spicy Indian food!]
I've made him a promise to reciprocate when he and his wife travel here
to visit theme parks.
Once I've catalogged the film and processed, we'll be exchanging images
too.

This is a testimonial to another, albeit obscure, aspect of the 'red
dot' syndrome.