Subject: Re: [Leica] Viewing filter for B&W tonal values
From: prasepe@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 00:08:7= +2300

On 1998-12-15 leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us said:
   >A long shot but i'll try here anyway.
   >Has anyone used a viewing filter to preview how a scene is rendered
   >in B+W tonal values? Care to comment on it's usefulness if one is
   >trying to teach the eye to see in B&W values. Ansel Adams suggested
   >using this filter for newbies in B&W photography. B&H sells one by
   >Peak for $50.
   >Thanks in advance.
   >Bee Lian

Bee,
I used a B&W viewing filter quite a lot early on. By suppressing the colors
in a scene, it helps you to judge tonal relationships and, maybe more
importantly, simulates the films response to shadows. For instance, that
shadow where your eye can see all kinds of detail may come out black in your
print. The filter also helps you to identify possible tonal mergers. I
bought mine from Zone VI years ago. I liked theirs because it was format
specific; where the Peak, I think, is round.  And, I'm sure they were less
than $50! Check with Calumet (they own Zone VI now.)

- - Alan

Net-Tamer V 1.11.2X - Test Drive