Subject: Re: [Leica] Aperture Ring on Apo-Telyt M 135mm f3.4
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:04:08 EST

I examined a sample of this lens at the dealer, comparing to my
late-model Tele-Elmar f4.  The aperture ring on the APO is indeed quite
loose feeling, so the short answer is, your sample is "normal".  The
Tele-Elmar's feels very precise and silken-smooth.  Looking inside the
rear of the APO, it can also be seen that the elements are mounted in
what appears to be a poycarbonate (plastic) assembly with light baffles,
which in turn is encased within the (hopefully) brass helicoid.  This may
account for some of the 85g weight difference.  In all, the Tele-Elmar
feels much more solid and well-constructed.   There were also a few small
bare spots in the black paint inside the APO, visible whilst peering into
the front element.   From the test slides I shot on K25, there is no
difference in actual performance.  I would have to be engaged in the
business of photographing test targets like Erwin to appreciate the gains
the $1000 dealer trade difference would have bought me.

Regards,
Nigel
On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:12:54 -0500 "John P. Koch"
<jpkoch@telerama.lm.com> writes:
>I just received my new ApoTelyt M 135, and it seems that the aperture
>ring is very loose, with very little resistance to moving from one
>f-stop to another.  The diaphragm is expanding and contracting
>appropriately and the ring does click on the full stops.  I am
>wondering if this is normal on this specific model or on other "long"
>M telephotos.
>
>Won't see the first chromes back till Monday, so I don't know if there
>is anything optically wrong or not.  The lens certainly looks and
>feels Leica-like with the butter smooth focusing.
>
>Am I worrying over nits, or should I be concerned about the loose
>aperture ring?
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>John Koch

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]