Subject: Re: [Leica] BEST WISHES AND TWO QUESTIONS
From: Patrick Giagnocavo <pgiagnoc@qi.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 20:33:02 -0500

"Brian J. Given" wrote:

> Greetings from a new member and old Leica user!
>
> I have enjoyed lurking for the last week and want to wish you all a very
> Happy Holiday
>
> I would also like to ask your opinions regarding the reliability of R-4S's
> and the reproduction potential of the film scanners like the Nikon LS-2000
>
> 1. I have not had very good luck with new Leicas. Years ago I bought two new
>
> 2. I am looking at film scanners. I've tried the Nikon LS-2000 with some

Hi Brian,

Here are my suggestions:

Question 1:  they (Leica) should completely replace the camera, not
try to fix it.  Period.  If they no longer have the R4S they should
replace it with a clean, used but serviced newer R series camera.
You are the original owner and this should not be happening.  Of
course you will be less blunt when saying this than I am :-) .
Maybe you are beyond the warranty period but it is obvious that
something is wrong if it still breaks after being serviced the first
time.

Question 2:  This really seems to depend on what you want out of the
prints you are going to make.  I would suggest looking at the
Photo.Net website at http://photo.net/photo for suggestions and
reviews.  Some of the guys there (including the one who runs the
site) are hard core computer geeks and they do a good job of
explaining things in terms of the results you actually get.  I think
that there is a review of at least one film scanner there.
Basically if you are not printing greater than 8x10 you can do well
with digital scan + digital printing, but bigger sizes mean either
you spend more for equipment, or that you still get non-digital
prints made at these larger sizes.

You may also want to check into PhotoCD if all you want to do is
preserve some of your older chromes.

Cordially

./patrick